Monday, April 2, 2012

Proud Member of the Big Blue Nation

 Annnndddd I'm back! And still alive. No, I haven't been hiding under a rock.  And no, I'm not preggo (Because about I had about 90000 questions after my last post.)
So, what have I been doing???

Cheering on my Wildcats, duh!


UK basketball is kind of like a religion in Kentucky.  Actually, scratch that.  It basically is our religion in Kentucky.  We are incredibly serious & overly superstitious about it, so that is why I couldn't tell yall my #6 fixation a few weeks ago.
See, as soon as the NCAA Tournament brackets were released my super-fan of a husband got online & made hotel reservations and got tickets for us to go watch the Cats in Atlanta for the Sweet 16 & Elite 8 games.  Kevin's crazy fanisms have clearly been projected onto me because I decided if I blogged about it ahead of time, it might jinx us.  I know Kentucky was the #1 seed & have been a big deal all season, but I wasn't about to count my chickens before they hatched....and God knows Kevin would have never let me live it down if we had lost & I had talked about our trip before we went.  
SOOOOO..... Obviously we won our first 2 games & we did head down to the ATL.  And had one hell of a good time. I took a ridiculous amount of pictures, and I think they do a preeeetttyyyy good job accurately describing our tip, so I'll just let them do the majority of the talking.


Like any great fan, I packed only team colors.  Even Kevin found this commitment to be impressive, which says a lot :)
Once we got to Atlanta, we got ready in a hurry & went straight down to the Georgia Dome.  Kevin wanted to have some time to get himself "mentally prepared"for the IU game.  Like he was coaching.  Ha.  
Anywho, I was ridiculously excited about this IU game because I grew up in Southern Indiana...aka Hoosier/Cardinal land, and I was ALWAYS taunted for being a UK Fan.  I literally loathe Indiana.  With every fiber of my being, actually.  So when we lost to IU in December, it absolutely broke my heart.  And i also wasn't sure if I would ever hear the end of it from my IU friends.  
Luckily, T. Jones & the rest of my boys came to PLAY that night.

Seats at the game



Court Shot!!!!! Such an intense game!


What does that say?  I can't read it?  Does it say we won?  Of course it does!!!!!!!! Loo Loo Loosiers.  Okay, I promise thats the end of me being an obnoxious UK Fan. (Although I must say- the IU fans in Atlanta were some of the mouthiest fans I've ever encountered.) 

Soooo then we had an entire day to kill and umm get mentally prepared to play Baylor.  So after reviewing game tape- Just kidding- (cough- Kevin really did watch the game highlights while I was at the gym. Normal, yes?), we cabbed it to Mid-Town & took in some of the Atlanta sights.
Spent all afternoon listening to a great live band & doing beer tastings at Sweetwater Brewery.  So. Much. Fun.

Maggie, Court, & myself waiting in line at the brewery.


Our crazy UK loving men.


You know I'm in celebration mode when a) I am even drinking beer and b) I am drinking a dark beer.
This. Never. Ever. Ever. Happens. Momentous Occasion.

Soo, after the brewery we traveled onto Buckhead, & had numerous more cocktails and dinner.  
(**Side Note: AND Can I just say how incredibly disappointed I was that I did not see Nene, Sheree, Kim, or Kandi?  Major Letdown.  The only person we did see was the Atlanta Falcons' quarterback? Booooooo. **)

So, in typical Caroline fashion, my phone died.  And it pretty much stayed dead until after we won against Baylor the next night.
At this time, most normal people would have just gone back to the hotel & regrouped. But nooope.  The four remaining soldiers, aka the Grays & the Hacks, decided it was a great idea to keep the celebration party going.  Fun, yes.  Smart, absolutely not.  
Our strategy was that we would bar hop, and every person got to pick 1 bar of choice to visit.


This starts out low key.


But quickly escalates....


And leads to absolutely awesome decisions. 


Ummm... Not.

Heres the best/worst thing about this-- people looovvee Kentucky fans.
This results in numerous free shots and drinks.  
Which results in a miserable drive home the next day.


Regardless of how miserable the drive home was, I wouldn't trade the memories from that trip for anything.  Especially the memories from the Cats victories :) 
Ummm.... Kevin may or may not have told me (after a few celebratory beverages) that it was 
his favorite trip of all time.
And yes, that includes our Honeymoon.  
Sigh. 
Ohh the life of being married to a super fan.

So just in case you are on the fence about who to cheer for during tomorrow night's CHAMPIONSHIP GAME, just ask yourself ONE question, 
"What would Lucy do?"


Duh. She's like a mini Wildcat herself.
Obviously, she's cheering for our boys to bring home our 8th Title.


And you should too.


Go Big Blue.


9 comments:

  1. Woo hooo!! I love other girls who love love love sports! I'm super impressed that you packed only team colors for the trip-- I've done this on occasion before too when traveling to watch our fave football team :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOOHOO! gooooooooo CATS! Looks like a fabulous trip, so jealous! I know you were excited!

    GOOD LUCK CATS!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I'm cheering on my Jayhawks but I rooted for UK the entire way. I wanted this as the final matchup badly bc I love that you guys seem as crazy devoted as KU kids. I'm jealous that you got to go to such awesome games! Good luck tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAha! This looks like such a fun trip! I'm cheering for Kentucky! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nene hangs out at a bar in Phipps Plaza! ;) Next time you're in ATL, go there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will be pulling for yall, for sure!!!! Your trip looks like a fantastic time. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE this post!! I live in Charleston and went to UK. My boyfriend and I made the trip up to Lexington this past weekend to watch the games. Complete madness! I'm so exhausted, but so happy I got to spend the Championship with Big Blue Nation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! My family and I are huge UK fans, it would have been awesome to go watch them. I haven't watched them play in years. I am a new follower, obviously because you are a UK fan much like my self. And I love your other posts as well.
    -chelsea
    chelseajuarbe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think my favorite picture here is the one of all your clothes laid out. AWESOME ;) My second fav pic is the one with the ruffled UK blouse. I need that. Can I walk over to your hizzie and borrow it? haha :P

    ReplyDelete